Using cell phones in college is a topic of debate amongst the college or school administrators and students. In some colleges/Schools mobile phones are banned completely whereas in certain colleges/schools cell phones are used during the break time, lunch time etc. Mobile phones have become a primary need in each and everyone’s life. Almost all the college students are in possession of the mobile phones. This article lists the various pros and cons of using cell phones in college/school.
[Related : 15 Best Video websites for Educators & Students]
Pros of Using Mobile Phones in College:
The advantages of using cell phones are:
- One of the greatest advantages of they can get in touch with parents and can inform them regarding their plans, their work in colleges/school etc.
- Using mobile phones it helps in establishing communication amongst teachers, friends and parents during emergency.
- Most of the cell phones now come with the GPS facility. In case if the student is found to be missing through this GPS facility they can trace the location of the student. This is one of the major reasons why parents are providing cell phones to their kids.
- Students can access information via internet facility which is available in most of the smartphones.
- They can spread vital information to their friends regarding assignments, projects etc.
[Related : Top 5 Degrees Preferred by Indian students]
Cons of using Mobile phones in School:
Some of the disadvantages of using cell phones inside the college campus are:
- Cell phones are distractions to the students during class time. Some students may use mobile phones during lectures through which they fail to concentrate on the class and spend time in texting or surfing etc. Students can even text with their eyes closed. Some students are even addicted to texting. So using cell phone during class hours can be a major disadvantage.
- Another disadvantage of using a mobile phone in college is the students might cheat during examinations. Most of the cell phones come with a calculator. The students might use it during the examination. Another way is that using the camera equipped cell phones the student might take a snapshot of the answer paper and send it to their friends.
- Some students might use cell phones which are costly. There is a chance of getting it stolen.
[Related : Learn English Easily]
Thus these are the various advantages and disadvantages of using cell phones. We cannot say that we should completely ban cell phones in colleges. But the students should be aware about the usage of mobile phones and they should use cell phones only on demand.